Relationship Topic - The Filling of the Holy Spirit
A Personal Testimony:
During the 40 days after Jesus' resurrection, he appeared to the disciples and gave them an important command: the first step of obedience in their post-resurrection 'walk with Christ.'
Acts 1:4-5 "...Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit. "
The reason that Jesus heard well done, and was raised to the highest place, is that during his life on earth, he didn't do what he wanted, he only did what his Heavenly Father wanted him to do. So it is with you and me. If you are going to live your best life – the life God has for you; you need to learn how to hear and obey God's voice. You will need to learn how to surrender your time decisions, your thought decisions and your money decisions to His full control. But how do you discern his voice? It is through the Holy Spirit.
Many debate this subject from differing theological viewpoints, my purpose here is just to give my personal testimony of what God did for me. I can tell you this: without this miraculous work of God in my life, I would never have understood the hear well done principles God has revealed, nor would I be able to walk in them. I pray that every person will continue to have sincere hearts, and open minds to everything that God has for us. Here is my testimony.
Saved at the age of five, I re-affirmed my commitment to Christ at Camp Fairwood when I was nine years old. My young life was filled with church services, and solid doctrinal teaching; Sunday School, Wednesday Night Church, Scripture Memory Programs, Summer Camp, Bible Clubs, etc. We were pretty much in church when the doors opened, because my grandfather was the Pastor at Pilgrim Baptist Church.
When he went to be with the LORD, we started going to a non-denominational church, and continued to receive good teaching from the pulpit by a gifted teacher, joined youth programs, camps, etc.
In High School, I came across a little church in the country where some crazy stuff was going on. No one in our Christian circles believed in any supernatural gifts and some spoke against the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" and the "emotionalism of the charismatics." "We needed to go by God's Word, not based on our own feelings." How true this would prove to be. Yet, somehow, I couldn't help but notice the genuineness of these people, their clear love of Jesus, their love for others, and the joy of the LORD they overflowed with. In their enthusiastic perseverance to get me 'baptized in the Holy Ghost,' I was pushed, pulled, prodded, laid hands on, cajoled, you name it...
but it just didn't work for me. Nothing happened. No tongues - nothing. I just figured that - as some people excused... "Do all speak in tongues, do all prophesy?" - that it just didn't apply to me. Besides, how could it really be God when no Christians we've ever gone to church with believe in it?
One night years later in college, April & I were coming through a town in Indiana, and took in a Sunday Night service at a local Charismatic church. It was a similar environment to that which I saw in high school in that little church, but this church was much larger. Loud, enthusiastic music, singing, dancing, shouting, hands raised up in the air, quite a lot for my senses to take in.
Then in the middle of the service, the music leader told everyone to get out into the isles and "dance before the Lord." Since that wasn't really my thing, I stayed put. But a large number of folks obliged him and when the music cranked back up, they were 'off to the races.' I remember one larger, especially enthusiastic gentleman suddenly lurch three full steps backwards, literally knocking this little old lady clean on her bottom and smashing her back against the edge of the pew.
Without warning, April, my date, said, "We're outta here." But before I could discuss with her the least embarrassing exit strategy, she was already gone: down the middle isle and out the back door. Sheepishly following her out, it wasn't until I got into the car where she was already waiting... that she explained. "That was not the Holy Spirit! She spoke with the conviction I imagined from Jesus in the temple. "How do you know? My bewilderment was bothering me. Here I was a 'mature' Christian, yet knew little to nothing at all of this "Holy Spirit" stuff.
"The Holy Spirit is a gentleman. What was happening there was not him, it was a man-made show." What makes you say that? I had to ask. "When that worship leader saw the lady injured, and he definitely saw her, he should have stopped the entire service, and gathered people around her to lay hands on her and pray for her healing.” Out of the church parking lot we went, with the thumping music still emanating from within, slowly fading into the distance.
After we got married, we attended for the first 8 years the one church I said I would never attend: (the home church of my wife, which she had been in since she was two years old). "You gotta grow up sometime, and put some distance between you and the family." I've learned not to be so hasty with words which God may have you eating sooner and longer than you think.
This church was very different from the craziness churches. These people were well taught in the Word. Pastor Shelton had these folks grounded. Strong Bible teaching, yet fully embracing the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, prophecy, and speaking in tongues - just not as the sole focus of the congregation. It was maturity in Christ they were focused on, not chasing the manifestations of the Holy Spirit.
I'll never forget the evening at my Mother-in-law's house just before I married her daughter, when she opened the Word of God to me and simply showed me through the scriptures - passage by passage - what the Old Testament prophets, John the Baptist, and Jesus himself promised. The Comforter, the Holy Spirit who would lead them into all truth, by whose power they would speak in tongues, yes - but they would receive power to become witnesses of this gospel. She didn't yell or shout, have me try stuff, slap my forehead, or push me over - she just showed me the truth right there in the pages of the Bible. That night the truth suddenly hit me. I simply told God, I believed his Word, and asked him to fill me with the Holy Spirit. And He did - right there on the spot.
Did I burst into speaking in tongues? Nope. I didn't open my mouth - so I couldn't. But I knew in my spirit - deep in my 'knower,' that He had done for me just what He promised in Scripture. Later that night as I was praising God and praying, two words in my prayer language suddenly popped out, and I shut my mouth in an instant.
Immediately the devil told me that it was just me making up the language. But deep in my spirit - I knew that I knew that I knew. "Devil, you're a liar." (And I was never one to be speaking to the devil). "This is the promise from God in Scripture! That was definitely not me, this thing is REAL!" If God can take this completely skeptical, naturally minded, intellect-bound, Baptist preacher's grandson, and baptize him in the Holy Ghost, He can do it for anybody - who accepts His Word, and believes.
As I continued to pray over the next two weeks, my prayer language got stronger and stronger, I grew just like any child learning to talk. I could never function in the ministry I'm called to today, nor have victory in my life, discernment and understanding, the worship God has blessed me with, not to mention the guidance, peace and JOY that I experience - without the Baptism, and the daily filling of the Holy Spirit. Truly when God says He will pray through you when you don't know how to pray. He told the truth.
Here is the WORD of Truth
God Promised The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Through The Prophet Joel
Joel 2:28-29 - And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.
God Promised The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Through John The Baptist
Matthew 3:11 - "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.
Mark 1:6-8 - John wore clothing made of camel's hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. And this was his message: "After me will come one more powerful than I, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.
Luke 3:16 - John answered them all, "I baptize you with water. But one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.
John 1:33 - I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.'
Jesus Himself More Than Once Foretold The Coming Holy Spirit
John 7:38-39 - He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
John 14:12,15-17 - I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. "If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever - the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
John 15:26 - "When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me.
John 16:12-15 - "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.
The Disciples Received The Holy Spirit At Salvation (Like Everyone Does), Yet They Had Not Received The Baptism Of The Holy Ghost
Colossians 2:9 - For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, (aka when you receive Christ - you get Father, Son & Holy Spirit)
John 20:19-22 - On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" After he had said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. Again Jesus said "Peace be with you As the Father has sent me, I am sending you. And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit."
The ressurected Jesus - showed them his hands and his side, they believed on him (and received the Holy Spirit - just like we do at salvation. The fullness of the Godhead (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) in Jesus. "If you've seen me, you've seen the Father, and he breathed on them and they received the Holy Spirit. And yet...
Jesus Instructed Them To Wait On The Coming Holy Spirit (Before Doing Anything Else) The Instruction Was: "Do The First Thing."
Luke 24:49 - I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high."
Acts 1:4-5 - On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."
Acts 1:8-9 - But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.
God Kept His Promise. They Received The Promised Holy Spirit- And Began Speaking In Other Tongues
Acts 2:1-4 - When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled he whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.
Peter (A Fisherman - Filled With The Holy Spirit Which He Had Just Been Baptized In) Boldly Explained Prophecy Fulfilled
Acts 2:15-18 - For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
Acts 2:32-33 - This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we are all witnesses. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
Peter (A Fisherman - Filled With The Holy Spirit Which He Had Just Been Baptized In) Boldly Proclaimed The Pattern Of Salvation: Repent, Be Baptized, And You Too Will Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit
Acts 2:36-39 - Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ." When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do? Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off - for all whom the Lord our God will call."
Acts 3:19 - Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,
Months Or Years Later, The Same Pattern Applied To Saul Of Tarsus. Salvation And Baptism Of The Holy Spirit
Acts 9:13-18 - "Lord," Ananias answered, "I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to your saints in Jerusalem. And he has come here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on your name." But the Lord said to Ananias, "Go! This man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for my name." Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord-Jesus who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here - has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit." Immediately, something like scales fell from Saul's eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized, and after taking some food, he regained his strength.
- A clear distinct pattern of Salvation. But so far this pattern of salvation was only for Jews! When word got back that Peter preached to the gentiles, the Apostles and believers in Jerusalem flatly rejected it. Impossible! They are Gentiles! Yet the Baptism of the Holy Spirit - proved their salvation... the pattern of salvation was the same for Gentiles, as for Jews. God affirmed it. Case closed.
Acts 11:15 - "As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. Then I remembered what the Lord had said: 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.' So if God gave them the same gift as he gave us, who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could oppose God?" When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, "So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life."
The Promised Holy Spirit Is Still For Today - 2000 Years Later The Word didn't say it was for you and your neighbors and those who are far off; that would be a geographical promise.
Acts 2:39 - The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off - for all whom the Lord our God will call." Far off: Eis Makran - means a distant place and a distant time! That’s a generational promise!
The Promise Was Expected By Every Believer And For Every Believer Years later, Paul discovers new converts and asked them if they had experienced the same pattern of salvation: Get Saved, Baptized, receive the Baptism of the Holy Ghost and speak in tongues.
Acts 19:1-6 - While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed? They answered, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit." So Paul asked, "Then what baptism did you receive?" "John's baptism," they replied. Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus." On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. There were about twelve men in all.
Someone might say, those were John's disciples not real Christians... But a similar thing happened in Samaria.
Acts 8:14-16 - When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them. When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit had not come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
How did people know that they received the Holy Spirit? It wasn't because they said, "Thank you" to Peter? No, it was because they spoke in tongues. In fact it was so amazing the Simon the Sorcerer saw it and offered them money to get this ability to 'fill people with the Holy Spirit.'
So If I'm Saved, But Haven't Received The Gift The Father Promised, The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit, How Do I Get It?
Luke 11:9-13 - "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children how much more will your father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?"
The Purpose Of The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit In A Believer's Life Gives us Power to be Witnesses - (power to live the Christian life) To Let us demonstrate our first step of faith and obedience Enable us to walk in the Spirit instead of the flesh (overcome our sinful nature) To convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgment Lead us into all truth and tell us things to come To bring glory to Jesus To help us discern God's plan for us daily To teach us all things To be a deposit of things to come To mark us with a seal To give us assurance of our salvation To give us wisdom to understand the deep things of God So we wouldn't be orphans Give us power to release the manifestation gifts in the church
1) Power To Be Witnesses (Martyrs) Who Die For Christ - While Living... Acts 1:8 - But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." (Witnesses means marytrs)
2) To Let Us Demonstrate Our First Step Of Faith And Obedience To Christ Acts 1:4-5 - On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.
John 7:38 - Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." (KJV - out of his belly will flow rivers of living water)
3) Enable Us To Walk In The Spirit, Instead Of The Flesh (Overcome Our Carnal Nature) Romans 8:12-16 - Therefore brothers, we have an obligation- but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. But if you live according to the sinful nature you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.
Galatians 5:16 - This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
4) The Holy Spirit In Us Will Convict The World Of Sin, Righteousness and Judgment. When He comes He will convicts people they're sinners, that Jesus is the righteous one, and that God will judge the world. John 16:8 - When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.
I Corinthians 14:24-25 - But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!"
5) The Holy Spirit In You Will Lead You Into All Truth And Tell You Things To Come The Comforter (John 16:13) will guide you, speaking not on his own, but only what he hears from Jesus. John 16:13-15 - But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.
6) The Holy Spirit In You Will Bring Glory To Jesus John 16:14 - He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you.
7) The Holy Spirit In You Is How You Discern God's Plan For You Daily (PiVAT - only works by the Holy Spirit) Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD...
8) The Holy Spirit In You Teaches You All Things (I John 2:27 - Written About 95 AD) I John 2:26-27 - I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit - just as it has taught you, remain in him.
That's why when you receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, it seems like you are reading the Bible for the first time! (Remember - John 16:13 The Spirit of truth- guides us in truth - i.e. the Word of God).
This is 95 years after Jesus birth, 62 years after his death! John was the youngster of the disciples - his audience here is not the Pentecost audience... all the other apostles were dead by then. He's talking to people like you and me! Those who later believed, and received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit - just like Jesus taught.
9) The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Is A Deposit Of Things To Come 2 Corinthians 5:5 - Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
God made us for a purpose. To be clothed in our heavenly body (see verse 3-4). In other words we were made for heaven, not earth. The real you, will live only a few years in your earthly body, but FOREVER AND EVER in your heavenly body. That was the purpose for which we were created! Heaven! Eternity! and the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is just a deposit, earnest money, or a down payment of things to come!!
10) The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Marks You With A Seal Ephesians 1:13 - And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit.
In other words, Ephesians 1:13 clearly says. You were included in Christ when you heard the truth, the gospel, and received Christ. And having believed in Jesus you then were marked in him with a seal - when you were baptized in the Holy Spirit. This made perfect sense to everyone in the church, all had experienced what Paul was referring to.
11) The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Gives Us Assurance Of Our Salvation I John 3:23-24 - And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. Those who obey his commands live in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us. We know it by the Spirit he gave us. Romans 8:16 - The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.
Remember - Everyone knew and experienced the "gift the Father promised." They then understood the 'experience of being baptized in the Holy Spirit was a deposit, and a confirmation, and a seal.
12) The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Gives Us Wisdom To Understand The Deep Things Of God. (Those without the gift the Father Promised - cannot understand them) I Corinthians 2:9-16 - However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him" but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment: "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.
(This means we have the mind of Christ, because we have been filled with the Holy Spirit - the comforter, who knows the mind of Christ, and makes it known to us).
13) Jesus Asked His Father To Send The Holy Spirit So We Wouldn't Be Orphans John 14:15-18 - "If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever - the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
Why in the world would Jesus consider them orphans when he leaves? (without the Baptism of the Holy Ghost). He and The Father are one. "Don't you know me Philip? "If you've seen me, you've also seen the father." - John 14:9 When they say him after the resurrection, they saw the nail prints and his side, they were overjoyed, and they believed. And Jesus said, "Receive the Holy Spirit." So they were saved like us, when we receive Jesus, the Holy Spirit is living in us. (The fullness of the Godhead bodily dwelleth in our Lord).
Yet Jesus still considered them orphans (comfortless, or comforter-less) So He had the Father send the Holy Spirit. Not on a whim, this was the plan from the beginning. Prophesied long ago. Why did Jesus consider them orphans without the Baptism of the Holy Spirit? Because orphans don't have parents - no one to direct them, counsel them, be their advocate in an adult world. The disciples had no one to counsel them, direct their steps, advocate for them in the spiritual world, (neither heaven - where the Holy Spirit would intercede (and Jesus himself) nor the dark world where the battle was not flesh and blood but principalities and powers). They needed a Comforter, Counselor, Guide, Advocate - the Holy Spirit. One who prayed the will of God on their behalf.
14) The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit Gives Power and Releases The Manifestation Gifts In The Church I Corinthians 12:7-10 - Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
The Purpose Of Tongues In The Life Of The Believer
To Fulfill Scripture To build yourself up in your faith So the Holy Spirit can intercede for you according to God's will - even when you don't know what to pray. To build yourself up in your faith To silence your natural mind, and open your heart to the Holy Spirit's control. To praise and thank God in the Spirit To follow the Apostle's doctrine and example To obey Scripture To be strengthened with power in your inner being
1) Pray in Tongues To Fulfill Scripture John 7:38 - Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." (He that believeth on me, as the Scripture hath said, out of his belly will flow rivers of living water). - KJV
2) Pray In Tongues So The Holy Spirit Can Intercede For You According To God's Will (Even when you don't know how to pray) How? When you pray in the Spirit (your tongues prayer language) the Holy Spirit intercedes for you according to God's will. Romans 8:27 - In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.
I Corinthians 14:2 - For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.
3) Pray In Tongues To Build Yourself Up In Your Faith Jude 1:18-21 - They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who follow their own ungodly desires." These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit. But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith praying in the Holy Spirit. Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.
An uncomfortable truth: The church wasn't divided by the pagans. The men who divided them in the church were not non-christians, who would listen to them? The men who divided them, were those who refused to accept the baptism of the Holy Spirit - who "do not have the Spirit" because it didn't make sense to their natural minds, it seemed like foolishness to them. But you, Paul encourages, don't be dissuaded, pray in the Spirit and thus build yourselves up in your faith and keep yourselves in God's love.
4) Pray In Tongues To Silence Your Natural Mind, And Open Your Heart To The Holy Spirit's Control I Corinthians 14:14-15 - For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.
5) Pray In Tongues To Praise And Thank God In The Spirit I Corinthians 14:16-17 - If you are praising God with your spirit, how can one who finds himself among those who do not understand say "Amen" to your thanksgiving, since he does not know what you are saying? You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.
Paul was saying, "Don't speak in tongues in a congregation without someone to interpret because people won't know what you are saying, but do - in your prayer language and your prayer time - give thanks in the Spirit. So how do you know that is what Paul is saying here?
I Corinthians 14:8 - I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. Paul had an active prayer language - He was purposeful in praying in tongues - he knew the purpose and power of it in his own life.
6) When you pray in Tongues you are following The Apostle's Doctrine and Example. I Corinthians 14:18 - I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.
I Corinthians 14:4 - So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.
7) When you pray in tongue you are obeying Scripture I Corinthians 1:39 - Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues
Ephesians 5:18 - Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead be filled with the Spirit.
Mark 16:17 - And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;
Ephesians 6:18 - Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Jude 1:20 - But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.
8) When you pray in tongues you are being strengthened with power in your inner being Ephesians 3:15-19 - from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Instruction About Tongues In A Public Setting (I Corinthians 14)
This passage gives direction to the corporate church body setting. It is speaking to the use of the manifestation gifts of the Holy Spirit from I Corinthians 12:7-10 (word of wisdom, word of knowledge, faith, gifts of healing, working of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, various kinds of tongues, interpretations of tongues).
These manifestation gifts were given for the common good (of the congregation). And they were given to whomever the Holy Spirit chose at the time.
I Corinthians 12:7 - Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. I Corinthians 12:11 - All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
So if God gave one person the gift of healing, the next Sunday, they couldn't just say - "Hey George, do that again!" God may have given the gift to someone else that day. Nor could someone - just because they read their devotional this morning - start blabbering the "word of wisdom" they had for the day. No, these were manifestations of the Holy Spirit that came upon people "Real Time" to demonstrate His power. (Certainly some may more often operate in a healing anointing, or a Tongues interpretation anointing) but just because you read the Bible this morning, or prayed in tongues this morning doesn't mean you get a turn).
Paul was saying. "Too many are speaking in tongues. No one can understand you. "Chill!" Unless someone interprets, but even then, only two or three at the most (No one cares to hear all your personal edification tongues, your Bible devotions, or your baby or vacation pictures every Sunday!) Get to the bigger gifts – like prophecy. So everyone can understand and be built up. For the materially well-off, but spiritually immature church at Corinth, Paul was giving them a maturity lesson. He wasn't reversing the Scriptural teaching from the Prophet Joel to Christ about the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues.
I Corinthians 14:39-40 - Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.
Paul makes it clear here – the church is not to forbid speaking in tongues – but to teach and operate in them correctly as it is an important part of the church and every believers’ personal relationship with God.
Final Warning About Tongues - as well as other "Manifestation Gifts."
I Corinthians 13:1-3 - If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
Note: 'Love' here: does not mean just 'being nice,' 'politically correct,' not calling sin, 'sin'... The Bible is clear on what it means to love God and love others:
John 14:15 - If you love me, you will obey what I command John15:14 - You are my friends if you do what I command John 14:21 - Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me I John 5:2 - This is how we know we love the children of God; by loving God and carrying out his commands I John 5:3 - This is love for God; to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome.
My Personal Testimony On Obeying God Regarding The Holy Spirit
My Belief: All reasons for my unbelief in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit - faded in the light of Scripture. How could I believe in Jesus, and not believe what He said about the Comforter that He promised He would ask the Father to send?
My Experience: Blessed beyond measure by the Gift the Father promised. Since then, the Bible has come to life as never before. While I can still sin if I choose, He, the Holy Spirit, gives me the power to overcome my carnal nature. I couldn't imaging trying to live the Christian life without Him. He talks to me, leads me into truth. He intercedes for me, He tells me things only God can know. He tells me things that are yet to come, even today, to prepare me for tomorrow.
My Recommendation: Search the Scripture for yourself. Don't let the devil or others who do not believe (either out of ignorance, or refusal - disobedience - which is a lack of faith) keep you from God's gift.
The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is the first step of obedience that believers were required to use their faith to receive. Forget emotions, just go on Scripture alone.
Just tell God, I believe your Word, I want to receive the Gift the Father promised. Ask Him to fill you with the Holy Spirit. (Luke 11:13) He will keep His Word. You will receive the gift He promised. Your life will experience more joy that you ever imagined. He will reveal the hidden things of God to you. You will understand Scripture in a whole new way.
You believed God for Salvation... just based on His Word. You can believe God when he says, "You will be filled with the Holy Spirit."
He cannot lie. He will do it. Then, Pray in the Spirit - it may come like a flood, or baby steps, but the more you yield to His control, the more you will grow. God wants to fill you with His Holy Spirit so you can hear and obey his voice and obey his commands. He wants to lead you into all truth, and show you things to come. You cannot hear and obey without the Holy Spirit. He is mission-critical for you to hear well done. We are praying for you, that you would believe His Word, and be filled with the Holy Spirit today!
A PRISM Topic: is God’s Word on a single subject. A Relationship Topic is a perspective from God's Word on relationships. A PRISM Topic Packet is a grouping of PRISM or Relationship Topics of similar subjects... part of the M: Meditate on theWord of PRISM – (5 Things You Can Do Daily in God’s Word) to transform the way you think. Ask God what PRISM Topic or Relationship Topic He wants you to meditate on today.Take your PRISM Topic, Relationship Topic or Packet with you! Come back to them multiple times a day! “It is to be with him, and he is to meditate on it day and night, so that he may learn to fear the LORD…” - Deuteronomy 17:19